[CMake] Modern superbuild template including support for

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:43:19 EDT 2015

On 21 August 2015 at 00:35, Andrey Pokrovskiy <wonder.mice at gmail.com> wrote:

> And are you able to browse the source code of all your dependencies
> (that were downloaded)?

I forgot to say that indeed if you use ExternalDependencies OR any
non-source based way of linking your dependencies to your project,
you don't get dependencies code in your IDE indeed.

It's the major reason I started with copy/pasting code of my dependencies
in my dependency repository.
My dayjob uses the other aproach where you have only the code of your
project in your IDE and must manually add dependencies
targets when you need to. Most of the time it's not a problem but I suspect
it depends a lot on the stability of the project.

Not sure which is better, frankly, I am exploring ways to manage my
dependencies in a fast way, and so far it's only major pain as long as I am
targetting
more than one platform and using C++.
(note: no current dependency management tools attempts I tried solve my
problems because they are all too intrusive and assume too much)

Maybe a file format to represent any library in a platform-independant way
would help. CMake is really describing a process to build a library, not
the library itself
and not in a way that allow any other tool to benefit from the library
representation. There was discussions about this in the beginning of the
year apparently
but if my memory is correct it have been abandoned.