[CMake] ExternalProject git clone hangs on windows

Tevet, Avi A avi.a.tevet at intel.com
Fri Aug 14 19:54:29 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I've developed some source code in an SVN repo, with dependencies on a few git repos.  My cmake build uses the ExternalProject_add module to manage the git dependencies.  I developed everything (code, cmake files) on linux, but I decided to use cmake because I knew that I would be cross-compiling the code to target various Intel processors.  I'm able to easily compile natively and cross-compile on linux, with the cmake-generated makefiles cloning/building/updating/installing when required.

Now I would also like to build this code on Windows 8.1 in VS2015.  I'm able to configure and generate the VS2015 solution/projects using CMake 3.2.3 without any cmake failures, however, VS2015 hangs when cloning the git repos.  The destination directories are created, but they are empty, and the build just doesn't progress past the "Cloning into XYZ..." message.  I've got git-gui and git-bash installed from git-scm.com (1.9.5).

I don't know if this is related, but when I look inside the generated VS projects for the dependencies, I see the "CMake Rules" directory full of *.rule files, but they are all effectively empty, containing just the text "# generated from CMake".

Can someone please tell me what I need to do so that I can use VS2015 to build a project with git dependencies managed through ExternalProject_add?

Thanks,

Avi