[CMake] ZERO_CHECK hangs for a MS Visual Studio 2010 project on Windows7

Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski tkadlubo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 06:38:31 EDT 2015

Hello,

I have a piece of C++ and Fortran software that I'm porting to the CMake
build system. On my TeamCity continuous integration server I observe a
weird behaviour: whenever I modify a CMakeLists.txt in a way that might
mean ZERO_CHECK has something to update, building the ZERO_CHECK hangs
until it gets killed off by the CI server job scheduler some 6 hours later.
The project in question is definitely not big enough to make 6h of
ZERO_CHECK sound reasonable. Besides, when I restart the build job after it
gets killed, the second build works ok: it completes ZERO_CHECK promptly,
and carries on with its regular job of compiling, linking etc.etc.

Log sample:

[13:23:52][Step 4/4]
[13:23:52][Step 4/4] Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 10.0.40219.1.
[13:23:52][Step 4/4] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
[13:23:52][Step 4/4] 1>------ Build started: Project: ZERO_CHECK,
Configuration: RelWithDebInfo x64 ------
[13:23:56][Step 4/4] 1>Build started 31.07.2015 13:23:54.

(it looks the same way even when I enable detailed logging in MSBuild)

This behavior seems to be 100% reproducible, and doing any trivial `echo
"#FOO!" >> CMakeLists.txt` dummy commit is enough to trigger it.

The same behavior seems to happen both when I run the build directly from
devenv.com and via IncrediBuild distributed build thingy.

Has any of you seen a ZERO_CHECK build that hangs in VisualStudio 2010? Any
ideas about how and why it might happen?

Is there any way to see some verbose logs of what was it that the
ZERO_CHECK build wanted to accomplish when it hanged? I tried looking
around with procmon, but I'm not very proficient with this tool, and didn't
see anything obvious.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
--
Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski