[CMake] Problems with CPack RPM

Domen Vrankar domen.vrankar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 08:16:29 EDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project that uses CMake for build configuration and
> CPack for packaging. We're running on Linux and seem to run into some
> issues with CPack when INSTALL commands have absolute paths.
>
> When we use Makefiles as the build tool, have absolute paths in the
> DESTINATION of the INSTALL command and we are building RPM or DEB
> packages, the make package commands seems to install these files to
> those absolute paths on the system we are doing the packaging on. This
> makes it so that we need to use root to build packages and I'd like to
> avoid this.
>
> Is this a bug with how CPack handles RPM and DEB packaging or am I doing
> something wrong? I've managed to somewhat bypass this by doing a lot of
> the absolute path installations in the post-install script but in the
> long run I would like to avoud this.

Hi,

It's probably a bug.
I've noticed this a while ago on Redhat Linux (worked fine on Ubuntu
though) but haven't got arround to investigate why that happens - for
me it's lower priority as not all package generators even support
absolute paths.

As a workarround you could use relative paths and choose for INSTALL
and PACKAGING prefix / and manage other relocation subpaths with
relative paths from
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/module/GNUInstallDirs.html (with
CPack 3.2 and above you can use multiple relocation prefixes).

Regards,
Domen