[CMake] cmp0026, file(GENERATE...), and configure_file

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Apr 21 15:26:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-18 11:35+0200 Stephen Kelly wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> So is it recommended that a two-step procedure be used to configure
>> a file?  For example:
>
> Yes, that seems to be a valid thing to do.
>
>> If the above complications for configured files are the only way to
>> deal with a mixture of @...@ items and generator expressions to
>> configure, could a change to configure_file so that it honors
>> generator expressions be implemented to avoid these complications?
>
> Nope, generator expressions are only available at generate-time, but
> configure_file is evaluated before that.

I was well aware of that so I assumed if this was implemented
configure_file would be moved to generate-time as well.

So there are really two questions here.  (1) Could the move to
honoring generator expressions by configure_file (as well as moving
configure_file to generate time) be straightforwardly implemented, and
(2) would that move cause any problems for users (because of
the necessary move to generate-time).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin