[CMake] FW: Parallel GNU make issue

Hennigan, Gary L glhenni at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 16 17:06:50 EDT 2014

Bill and David,

Thanks for the replies. I had to shift to something else for a bit but I'm back to looking at this...

Bill, I'm not sure what you mean by "external projects"? My software is built as part of a large suite of open-source software collectively named Trilinos that is owned, or at least managed, by my company. My own code project isn't directly part of the Trilinos project but they have  a mechanism that allows for the build of my code to be incorporated into their build process. All of the software being built is either part of Trilinos or my own code. Nothing from "outside" is included in the build. All of it relies on cmake.

David, memory usage was certainly a  good thought, but from what I can tell there's no memory issue. While the build is huge it's on a system with 128GB of RAM and while it's a bit tricky getting memory usage of a process on Linux, use of "ps", "free", and "vmstat" didn't seem to indicate that memory usage was an issue.

I did notice, by using "ps -ef" during the "ctest" build, there are lots of zombie cmake processes. I suspect these zombies are eating up the GNU-make parallel slots that are available. I have no idea why these are being created and why they're not being killed.

Anyway, I believe we have a support contract with Kitware so I'm going to track down the proper local contacts to use that "official" channel.

Thanks again,
Gary