[CMake] Merge "VS: Use full path to sources to allow deeper trees with VS >= 10" fix to release

Andreas.Metz at hydrometer.de Andreas.Metz at hydrometer.de
Mon Sep 1 07:06:39 EDT 2014

Hi CMakers,

I was running into a  "using to long path" issue with CMake.

Here some short notes about my setup:

OS: Windows 7
Dev: MS Visual Studio 10
CMake: 2.8.12 (tested it also with 3.0.1)

In our project (it is based on the CIAO/TAO framework) some files will be
generated automatically through an IDL compiler. Through that process the
root of the project will be based on those generated files.
Additional source files, placed in a complete other folder, will be
referenced through relative paths to the project folder.

The project itself consists of several subfolders and the length of the
paths can go up to 100 letters (which should still be ok for CMake and
Visual Studio) but through adding some file into another folder, the
relative path description can grow up to more then 250 letters:
(e.g. c:\path\to\current\dir\..\..\..\relative\path\to\source.c)

As the project is already quite big, and the concept on how we store our
files is not a thing we can change quite easily, I was looking if it is
possible that CMake will generate always absolute paths.
By default, CMake was not able to generate absolute paths, also the
CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHES flag had no effect on my project.

After some investigations I found out, that a solution was already
submitted by the CMake dev team through the following change:

http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commit;h=0d048384694b7285ef739153757b57791d4ebb93

But it seems, that it did not make it into the release branches.
My question is now, is there any reason why that fix, besides serval other
changes to the "cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator.cxx" did not made it into
a new CMake release?

After I found out, that a solution is already available I downloaded the
nightly build binaries form the 1st of september and voila it worked.
In addition CMake will print out a warning, that informs me that we have a
path that is too long.

Thats why I wanna ask you guys here, how I should proceed. Should I add a
bug although a solution already exists?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Bitte überlegen Sie, ob Sie diese Nachricht wirklich ausdrucken müssen/
before printing, think about environmental responsibility.

Hydrometer GmbH, Industriestraße 13, 91522 Ansbach
Telefon + 49 981 1806 0, Telefax +49 981 1806 615
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ansbach, Registergericht: Ansbach HRB 69
Geschäftsführer: Frank Gutzeit (Sprecher), Dr.-Ing. Robert Westphal,
Thomas Gastner, Adam Mechel

Der Inhalt der vorstehenden E-Mail ist nicht rechtlich bindend. Diese
E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen.
Informieren Sie uns bitte, wenn Sie diese E-Mail fälschlicherweise
erhalten haben. Bitte löschen Sie in diesem Fall die Nachricht. Jede
unerlaubte Form der Reproduktion, Bekanntgabe, Änderung, Verteilung
und/oder Publikation dieser E-Mail ist strengstens untersagt.

The contents of the above mentioned e-mail is not legally binding. This
e-mail contains confidential and/or legally protected information. Please
inform us if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete it in
such a case. Each unauthorized reproduction, disclosure, alteration,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.