[CMake] VERSION and SOVERSION target properties on OS X

Steven Velez sbv1976 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 12:43:53 EDT 2014

Forgive me if this question has been answered before but with CMAKE 2.8.12
(I believe) xcode builds on OS X started generating shared libraries
decorated with the "VERSION" target property and symlinked by a bare dylib
name and one decorated with the SOVERSION.

I understand this is common practice on many unixen, but it is complicating
our deployment and update logic (not cpack, sorry to say).

Our application is fairly self-contained, so we would like to continue
generating only those bare-named dylibs, but we need to keep the SOVERSION
set to that the embedded "compatibility version" remains how we want it.

I have not found a combination of values to these properties that does what
I would like, so I was wondering if there was a way to get the old
behavior.... perhaps with a policy or something?

If there isn't a way to do it now, would there be an acceptable way to
specify this behavior that would be accepted as a patch?

Thanks,
Steven