[CMake] building an autoconf project with externalproject

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Mar 16 03:49:45 EDT 2014

On 2014-03-15 23:06-0700 Josh Stratton wrote:

> I'm trying to get cmake to compile an autoconf external library that comes
> with my git repo.  I've found an example on stackoverflow that supposedly
> works, but I get an error message saying no CMakeLists.txt exists in that
> directory.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16604815/cmake-reuse-externalproject-depends-does-not-work
>
> I figured because BUILD_DIR is set to "make", I wouldn't need a
> CMakeLists.txt file in that directory.  Anyway, I tried including an empty
> one and get a "no rule to make target install", which is closer, but still
> not correct as I'm not calling "make install", right?
>
> Here's my root CMakeLists.txt.  Is there another argument or something to
> get this to work?  Why does including "make" give an "install" message?  If
> I'm doing the whole autoconf workflow, do I need the full set of commands
> "configure; make; make install" or is cmake doing some fancy logic?
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
>
> project(ppml)
>
> include(ExternalProject)
>
> ExternalProject_Add(
>  fftw
>  DOWNLOAD_COMMAND ""
>  SOURCE_DIR /home/stratton/Public/ppml/external/fftw-3.3.3
>  BUILD_COMMAND make
>  BUILD_IN_SOURCE 1
> )

The documentation says

# If SOURCE_DIR is explicitly set to an existing directory the project
# will be built from it.
# Otherwise a download step must be specified using one of the
# DOWNLOAD_COMMAND, [...]

So my guess is you should drop the DOWNLOAD_COMMAND entirely rather than
specifying an empty string for it.

If that doesn't work, there are other alternatives which I know do work.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin