[CMake] Another attempt: CMake error reporting with absolute path?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Tue Mar 4 19:30:07 EST 2014

Hey developer list,

I've sent a mail about this topic half a year ago [1] but didn't get any
comments/suggestions. Now that 3.0 is near, I thought it's time to ask this
again:

Is there any interest or are there any objections against
introducing error reporting using absolute paths in CMake?

I'm quite puzzled by output such as:

CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:14 (add_executable):

It makes it hard for a user of CMake (be it a human or an external tool) to
locate the exact file that caused the error for no apparent reason. Why don't
we use absolute paths here?

Would you accept patches that change the behavior and always print absolute
paths instead for the call stack? Objections?

Note that my original intent is to get a better output format to be able to
parse the CMake error output programmatically in KDevelop.

[1] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2013-July/055361.html

Greets

--
Kevin Funk