[CMake] Cygwin drive paths are killing me

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:58:49 EDT 2014

Thanks everybody for the replies.

- I am using the native CMake, not the cygwin one. I didn't realize
there was a difference. I'll try that and hope that works.

- The Android NDK page itself says Cygwin 1.7 is required. Maybe it is
BS, but I don't know.

Required development tools
    * For Windows, Cygwin 1.7 or higher is required. The NDK will not
work with Cygwin 1.5 installations.

- I need the "standalone toolchain" because I never got the base NDK
to work with the android.toolchain.cmake after a certain NDK revision.
They have documentation on how to build and use it for Mac and Linux
but not Windows and it looks very Unix-y, so I assumed this was one of
the places that required Cygwin.

- Additionally, I need to build multiple architectures which CMake
doesn't know how to do, so I needed to wrap the entire (CMake) build
process in what turned out to be a fairly complex script in another
language, hence I made the problem worse since I needed this for
multiple platforms and don't know if I could port something this
complex to a .bat file.

- Furthermore, I'm building the full APK which means I need SDK
integration. After over a year fighting Ant/Eclipse and all the stupid
limitations it and the NDK have (e.g. the NDK_MODULE_PATH can't handle
any spaces which Google puts the blame on GNU Make for), I've
transitioned to Gradle/Android Studio. It turns out their NDK support
in Gradle/Android Studio is completely non-existent at this time, but
can be compensated for by writing some functions in your Gradle script
(via Groovy) code to execute processes (which is still less painful
than dealing with XML/Ant). I'm using this to invoke a script that
invokes make for each architecture I need to build in the NDK.

Thanks,
Eric