[CMake] Running a function as a build target

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 07:43:09 EDT 2014

> Is it possible to invoke a script function as part of a target?

No, because the variable values are "all gone" after CMake finishes
running. And the custom build targets do not run until later at build
time.

>  I have a build step where I need to process a bunch of variable
> values before building a particular target.  All of the custom
> targets
> require a COMMAND, not a function.  I thought maybe I could push this
> off to a script invoked by cmake -P, but a quick test revealed that
> the
> script does not inherit the variable environment and the variables
> I'm
> working with cannot be easily passed using -D values on the command
> line.

Running a script is probably the right approach. Perhaps you could
write out a file at CMake configure time that contains sufficient
information that your script could read at build time.

It might not be easy, but it should be possible.

HTH,
David C.