[CMake] CMAKE changing Visual Studio Settings

Joseph Rosensweig jrosensw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 02:05:58 EDT 2014

I've been using CMAKE recently on Linux and Windows and I really like it.
Its a great way of spinning up a project and organizing your builds. There
are just a few things that are bugging me and I'm hoping to get help here.
Visual Studio Settings

Every time CMAKE generates a project it will be a fresh solution and will
not maintain any of the settings you applied to the Visual Studio project.
I know that many things such as CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, etc can change the
properties. But what if I want to change settings such as "Suppress Startup
Banner", "Environment", Enabling Microsoft Symbol Server, Enabling Native
Code Debugging. How do I force CMAKE to set the options I want for fields
like these?
Combining Debug/Release/Etc into one solution

It seems that with CMAKE you have to do separate generations for
Debug/Release/etc. But in typical manually created Visual Studio projects
you can combine the profiles and just change a project setting to get your
new settings. Is it possible to generate a single solution file from CMAKE?

Thanks!