[CMake] cmake 3.0 memory usage on VTKWikiExamples (was: cmake-gui crash in Windows 8.1)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jul 9 10:51:26 EDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 03:38 AM, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> I downloaded the most recent version of CMake  in the master and built is with VS 12 2013 64bit.
> I ran the debug version on the Wikiexamples and it consumed over 4GB of memory.
> It seemed to run to completion after about 4h

AFAICT this is the same problem discussed in a thread on the
cmake-developers mailing list:

 cost of usage requirements
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/10283

The VTKWikiExamples from

 https://www.gitorious.org/vtkwikiexamples/wikiexamples

creates a large number of individual executables that each link
to lots of VTK libraries with deep dependency chains.  That is
about the worst case for the performance problem discussed in
the above-linked thread.  In addition to doing a lot of work
to propagate context-dependent usage requirements (and in this
case decided to do nothing), CMake is allocating a huge amount
of memory.

I will post back to the thread over there to link this case as
another example of the problem so discussion can proceed there.

On 07/04/2014 03:50 AM, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> There is no problem with the last version of CMake 2.8.

What version of 2.8 did you last use?  I see the same problem with
2.8.12, but not as extreme.  3.0 has added more usage requirement
features and thus takes longer.

-Brad