[CMake] Fwd: Visual Studio command line from CMake

Rob McDonald rob.a.mcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:48:04 EST 2014

All,

Thanks for all the help, I'm getting closer.  My current approach does
this....

CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED( VERSION 2.8 )
INCLUDE( ExternalProject )

SET( VS_MAKEFILE_ZIP vsnet-makefiles.0.85.zip )

IF( MSVC )
  IF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1200 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS60COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1300 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS70COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1310  )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS71COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1400 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS80COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1500 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS90COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1600 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS100COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}vsvars32.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1700 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS110COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}VsDevCmd.bat )
  ELSEIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1800 )
    SET( VS_TOOLS_PATH $ENV{VS120COMNTOOLS} )
    SET( VS_ENV_BAT ${VS_TOOLS_PATH}VsDevCmd.bat )
  ENDIF( MSVC_VERSION EQUAL 1200 )
ENDIF ( MSVC )

file(WRITE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/opts.txt
"R
V")

file(WRITE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/runthis.bat
"call \"${VS_ENV_BAT}\"
gmake < opts.txt")

ExternalProject_Add( FLTK
  URL ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/fltk-1.3.2-source.tar
  UPDATE_COMMAND
    ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_if_different
    ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/${VS_MAKEFILE_ZIP}
    <SOURCE_DIR>/${VS_MAKEFILE_ZIP}
  COMMAND
    ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E tar -xzf <SOURCE_DIR>/${VS_MAKEFILE_ZIP}
  COMMAND
    ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_if_different
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/opts.txt
    <SOURCE_DIR>/opts.txt
  COMMAND
    ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy_if_different
    ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/runthis.bat
    <SOURCE_DIR>/runthis.bat

  PATCH_COMMAND ""
  CONFIGURE_COMMAND runthis.bat
  BUILD_COMMAND ""
  INSTALL_COMMAND ""
  BUILD_IN_SOURCE 1
)

It doesn't fully work.

-- I create the opts.txt and runthis.bat files in CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR
and then copy them to <SOURCE_DIR>.  I couldn't figure out how to write
them within ExternalProject_Add and <SOURCE_DIR> doesn't exist before
unless I want to reset its value.  Suggestions Welcome.

-- opts.txt and runthis.bat end up where I want them and contain what I
want.

-- If you double-click runthis.bat, it successfully builds FLTK.

-- However, running 'runthis.bat' from inside ExternalProject fails.  I've
tried 'cmd runthis.bat' '<SOURCE_DIR>/runthis.bat' and a few other things,
none work.

I think it may be a problem with the command to run the batch program
doesn't create a new environment, or doesn't keep the environment variables
set by vsvars32.bat.

Suggestions Welcome.

Rob

P.S.  The mess of IF code to detect the MSVC version and use the
environment variable has not been vetted and is mostly a guess at this
point.  From all the googling I could do, it is probably closeish to right.

P.P.S.  vsvarsall.bat Is special because it lets you set 32/64/arm target
and also 32/64 host environments.  I would like to support 32/64 target,
but you can't set target without knowing the host environment.  Is there a
CMake way to detect whether the Visual Studio host environment is 32/64 bit?

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Rob McDonald <rob.a.mcdonald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Correct, this is one of the concerns that makes it more complex than just
searching for the first vcvarsall.bat you come to.

> I'd like to match up the vcvarsall to the version of visual studio
currently in use by CMake.

> I think there are now enough pieces that I can write a CMake
'FindVSEnvironment.cmake'.  While I can't test it for a large number of
MSVC versions, I'll post it and hopefully others can help out.