[CMake] Fwd: Visual Studio command line from CMake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Jan 9 14:03:34 EST 2014

On 1/9/2014 1:48 PM, Rob McDonald wrote:
> Correct, this is one of the concerns that makes it more complex than
> just searching for the first vcvarsall.bat you come to.
>
> I'd like to match up the vcvarsall to the version of visual studio
> currently in use by CMake.
>
> I think there are now enough pieces that I can write a CMake
> 'FindVSEnvironment.cmake'.  While I can't test it for a large number of
> MSVC versions, I'll post it and hopefully others can help out.
Another interesting way to approach this would be to use external
project, and use a Visual Studio IDE generator to build the nmake
environment.   It is not cmake based, but I have done this with Qt and
it works great.  When the IDE builds the external project the
environment is all setup, and you can build from any command line or
from a GUI with no environment set.

-Bill