[CMake] Provide 64bit Linux binaries

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 8 07:56:22 EST 2014

Hi,

I know this has been raised in the past, but I don't think the arguments
for not providing the binaries are strong enough to warrant the hassle a
cmake user has to go through to run the 32bit binaries on a 64bit Linux
distribution.

I think requiring users to figure out how to install 32bit compat libraries
and keeping a copy of at least libc on the machine for no other purpose
than running cmake does not really fit the intention of providing binaries
in the first place. As far as I understand the idea was to make it easier
for people who cannot upgrade a package-manager-provided CMake (for
whatever reason) to use a newer CMake. Requiring those people to build from
source does not really make it easy and not all distributions install 32bit
compat libraries out of the box (let alone older machines which have no
such compat libs at all)

So can we please get 64bit Linux binaries for the next CMake release?

Andreas