[CMake] Path too long

Rob McDonald rob.a.mcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 19:56:53 EST 2014

All,

I'm building FLTK as an ExternalProject to a 'Libraries' project.  Inside
the ExternalProject, I'm using the FLTK CMake build system.

I've then created a SuperProject to build Libraries as an ExternalProject
(and my main project too).  This works great so far on my Mac.

On my Windows machine, this results in a path name longer than 256
characters for the innermost FLTK CMake run.  This fails to write a file,
which causes the build to fail.  Which causes the whole thing to fall down.
 The specific innermost error is this....

5>CUSTOMBUILD : CMake error : cannot write to file
"C:/Users/ramcdona/Documents/OpenVSP/refactor/build/super/Libraries-prefix/src/Libraries-build/FLTK-prefix/src/FLTK-build/CMakeFiles/Export/C_/Users/ramcdona/Documents/OpenVSP/refactor/build/super/Libraries-prefix/src/Libraries-build/FLTK-prefix/CMake/FLTKLibraries.cmake":
No such file or directory

Beautiful, isn't it?

Although I can obviously work around this by using some alternate
less-buried directory, that is a fragile solution that is not user-proof.
 Is there some way around this?  What have other projects with big
SuperBuild's done?

Rob