[CMake] VERBOSE environment variable

hjuvi hjuvi-cmake at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 5 03:25:42 EST 2014

Hello,

I can't find the description of VERBOSE environment variable effect on compilation.
Experiment has shown me that:
- exporting VERBOSE (without setting the value), implies that "Dependee ... is newer than depender ..." messages are shown
- exporting VERBOSE=1 (or whatever the value, even 0 in fact!) implies that all compilation commands are shown

Can you confirm this behaviour? Is it the expected behaviour?
Shouldn't it be documented here? http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v2.8.12/cmake.html

I find it disturbing that exporting the variable (without setting the value) turns on some verbose messages.
And even more disturbing that VERBOSE=0 turns on verbose mode as well as VERBOSE=1.

NB: The reason for these questions is that Buildroot currently always export VERBOSE variable (even when the value is not set), which produces some unwanted "Dependee ... is newer than depender ..." messages.
I'd like to report the problem to Buildroot dev team, but first I need to understand the exact expected behaviour of Cmake.

Thank you...