[CMake] Clarification for handling of semicolons in parameters

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 1 04:22:56 EDT 2014

> The application "CMake GUI 2.8.12.2" reports some "internal errors" as I would
> expect it if I dare to use the following setting.

I expected that my example command "configure_file" will fail somehow. But the
shown error messages do not fit to my expectations so far. I suggest to take a
closer look at the situation if I would like to try out a subdirectory with a
name like "t e s t;ABC; xyz".

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:90 (file):
  file Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
  /home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/quoting/t e s t for writing.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:100
(CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_WRITE)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:39
(CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID_BUILD)
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeDetermineCCompiler.cmake:131
(CMAKE_DETERMINE_COMPILER_ID)
  CMakeLists.txt:2 (project)

Can a parameter be handled as a single one even if it contains a semicolon
(which has got a special meaning for the CMake programming language)?

Does this use case need any improvements for the involved parameter handling?

Regards,
Markus