[CMake] ExternalProject_Add - Automatic Incremental Rebuilds + Add Sources to IDE

Aaron Nowack aaronbnowack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 15:45:41 EDT 2013

> You can structure the app CMakeLists such that it can reference the libs
> as part of a big "build everything" tree like this, or as something that
> has to be found with find_package, or as something you just point to with
> CMake variables.

Was the "parent" CMakeLists.txt an example of only how to combine the
sources, or should it be reasonably possible to do step-building? For
example, I attempted the following...

I've setup a "parent" CMakeLists.txt for the apps and libs as you described
with subdirectories for apps and libs. I build the libs first, and have it
set a variable of where the library will be installed to, named
apps_lib_path. apps_lib_path is set with PARENT_SCOPE so it is passed into
the apps/ directory.

Now, in the apps folder I must reference to the library that libs will
build. This seems to create a chicken-egg issue as I am trying to reference
a library that isn't yet created. I am using find_package(libs) which
checks several possible locations for the library, the first being
apps_lib_path for the library libApps. Since no libApps is present (hasn't
been built yet, still in the cmake stage) it is set to NOTFOUND and cmake
returns an error.

The best approach I've seen for this sort of thing so far is being used in
> the Open Cheimstry projects. They build and install everything as part of a
> "super build" into a known installation prefix in the "super build" build
> tree. Then, they use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH and find_package to find
> *previously* built/installed sub-projects in subsequent sub-projects.
> Everything is built via ExternalProject there, but none of the individual
> projects build anything with ExternalProject -- they find everything with
> find_package. ( See their repos here: https://github.com/OpenChemistry --
> the super build is in: https://github.com/OpenChemistry/openchemistry )

This is a great example, so they install into a common place where each
project can use find_project(other_project) and link correctly. They force
incremental rebuilds by using ExternalProject_Add_Step.

Thanks for the help,
- Aaron