[CMake] ExternalProject and redundant update/configure/compile actions.

Pat Marion james.patrick.marion at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:09:24 EDT 2013

There's a related issue, I think, if you skip the update step, then the
project never rebuilds, since reconfigure and rebuild depend on update.  So
if you modify a source file of a project without a download command, then
superbuild will not rebuild the project.  So my workaround (used in VES,
for example) looks like this:

macro(force_build proj)
  ExternalProject_Add_Step(${proj} forcebuild
    COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E remove ${base}/Stamp/${proj}/${proj}-build
    DEPENDEES configure
    DEPENDERS build
    ALWAYS 1
  )
endmacro()

ExternalProject_Add(myproject
  DOWNLOAD_COMMAND ""
  ....)
force_build(myproject)

I guess I could modify my force_build macro so only make re-runs, not
configure && make.

Pat