[CMake] ExternalProject BUILD_COMMAND and Visual Studio Express 2010

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Nov 23 05:00:46 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:49:07PM -0700, Macumber, Daniel wrote:
> Our project is using ExternalProject_Add to build Ruby.  Our
> BUILD_COMMAND on Windows is "cd
> ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Ruby-prefix/src/Ruby-build && nmake".  This
> works using the professional versions of Visual Studio.  However,
> using Visual Studio Express 2010 I get an error that nmake is not a
> known program.  Nmake is not in my system path but is found when
> running the Visual Studio command prompt.  How can I get the
> ExternalProject build command to use the correct environment?
> Should I put a call to vcvarsall.bat in the command line?  Is there
> a CMake variable that has the path to that?

I would expect that you need to put the folder where nmake.exe lives
in the %PATH%, the easiest way of achieving that is probably to use
vcvarsall.bat.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it
would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
     -- Lyndon Johnson