[CMake] building a library named 'general'

Michael DiCuccio dicuccio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:07:28 EST 2013

Hi!

I've come across an odd conundrum and need a little help resolving it.  I'm
porting a large toolkit to use CMake instead of an autoconf /
configure-based makefile system.  One problem we tripped across is a
library named 'libgeneral.so', built as part of the toolkit itself.  The
trouble is that the syltax of a CMakeLists.txt file does not permit linking
a library named general.

Suppose you have a library named general:

-----
add_library(general foo bar)
-----

...and then try to link it into an application:
-----
add_executable(myapp baz)
target_link_libraries(myapp general)
-----

cmake complains about the fact that 'general' is a reserved keyword, and I
have found no way to force or finagle linkage against a library named
'libgeneral'.

Any ideas?