[CMake] Stripping debug information of shared libraries on install/packaging

Stefan Peters peters at verified.de
Tue Nov 19 05:31:13 EST 2013

Hello,

I am using cmake on a Qt project and we're using google-breakpad for
crash reporting. Therefore I am making release builds with debug
information which are extracted later by the breakpad tools. Works fine,
but I still have one problem on linux. On packaging the debug
information are only stripped from the binaries, but not from the
project-internal shared libraries (which are also targets of the
project). I am using "set(CPACK_STRIP_FILES ON)".

The only solution I found is to include 2 post-build commands:

1.) if release-build-for-customers: run the breakpad tools
2.) if release-build-for-customers: strip all symbols

But this would require some more steps to the whole build process and
perhaps there is a easier way to get rid of the symbols.

Regards,
   Stefan

--
Stefan Peters