[CMake] Generated Files Dependencies

Mike Krus mike at mve.com
Mon May 27 16:45:01 EDT 2013

Hi

I've started to use Protocol Buffers in my project.

.proto files gets "compiled" into c++ .cc and .h files using the PROTOBUF_GENERATE_CPP that comes with CMake (2.8.10, Ninja generator).

It all works fine except that the generated .cc and .h files become dependencies of all the other files in the library, so if I change the .proto file, the .cc and .h get regenerated (good), but then my entire library gets recompiled (not just the files that #include the generated .h file, bad!).

Is there an easy way of stopping this? Is it a CMake bug?

Cheers,

Mike