[CMake] Status/use of CMake on Cygwin

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed May 22 14:26:18 EDT 2013

On Monday 20 May 2013, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2013-05-20 12:31+0200 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >>
> >> be ridiculously, enormously slow and frustrating, and have literally
> >> completely given up on it as a realistic development environment. I
> >> personally do not use it or install it, EVER. It’s probably been 3-4
> >> years since I had one of my machines that had any form of Cygwin on
> >> it.
> >
> >> Hi David (off list again but this time with CC to Bill):
> >
> >> I am thinking of implementing this idea using the Python-based jhbuild
> >> package (developed originally to organize builds of the many different
> >> gtk-associated software packages on Linux and Windows) since I have
> >> some experience using jhbuild and thought it was a well-designed tool
> >> to help users build software packages.  But obviously another
> >> alternative for this job would be an overall CMakeLists.txt file.
> >
> > The kde-on-windows team is maintaining a python script called "emerge"
> > (yes, the same name as under Gentoo, but it is not related to it) to
> > build a whole bunch of packages, including downloading them, etc.
> > Maybe you can have a look at that too, and see whether this could also be
> > something which could be extended ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge
>
> Hi Alex:
>
> I am now glad I put my post on list by accident since the result was
> your interesting response about emerge. Thanks for reminding me of
> emerge which I have been aware of but which I have not had a chance to
> use. In the old days I had my own shell script to build KDE and Qt
> which took 7 (!) days on a pentium-133 to complete, but this was long
> before emerge was implemented and by the time I became aware of that,
> I was reasonably satisfied by the standard distribution builds of
> KDE/Qt and had no need to build KDE/Qt for myself.
>
> Can you comment further on this note about emerge from the above web
> page?
>
> "Note 1: Be sure that you neither have the msys/bin nor the cygwin/bin
> in your path."
>
> If that constraint is absolutely required, then it is an emerge
> showstopper for me for anything other purpose than to build KDE and
> its dependencies. MSYS is important to me since I use a lot of bash
> scripts and MSYS executables for tests for the software packages I am
> directly responsible for, and I think that might be the case for a
> number of additional software packages as well.  I presume the above
> constraint is caused by emerge using the "MinGW Makefiles" generator
> which checks there is no sh.exe (supplied by MSYS) on the PATH (for a
> reason which I am sure is valid, but which I don't understand). But
> for those software packages where MSYS is a necessity, could emerge be
> configured to use the "MSYS Makefiles" generator instead (with a
> temporary change to put MSYS on the PATH just for the affected
> packages) to avoid this issue completely?
>
> The other important general issue is that the proposed build-script
> [...]

actually I have no idea.
Our Windows developers use their emerge script to build KDE and also the
dependencies, which includes a whole bunch of non-Qt libraries.

If you are interested, you should probably ask on the kde-windows list for
details: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-windows

Alex