[CMake] Status/use of CMake on Cygwin

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun May 19 16:17:39 EDT 2013

Hi Bill:

I am addressing this mostly to you because I believe you have
a strong historical interest in the Cygwin platform.

Just to remind you, my use case is I build and test a fair number of
different cross-platform software packages (FreeEOS, te_gen, ephcom,
and PLplot and all their dependencies) with CMake-based build systems
on both Linux and the Wine version of Windows.  For the latter case, I
have had perfect success (no issues at all compared with the Linux
builds and tests) with CMake-2.8.10.2, nearly the latest MinGW (4.7.0,
but I haven't tried the latest 4.7.2 yet), and MSYS on Wine-1.5.19.

Encouraged by that Wine build and test success I would like to install
Cygwin on Wine-1.5.19 and try to build and test all the packages I am
interested in on the Cygwin/Wine platform.  GUI installers that I have
tried so far all seem to work well on Wine so I don't anticipate any
difficulties with the Cygwin GUI installer.  But I am a complete
Cygwin newbie so I have some questions about how to access and use
the latest CMake on that platform.

1. The CMake version at http://cygwin.com/packages/cmake/ appears to
be somewhat outdated.  The latest available package there is
cmake-2.8.9.  My impression is in the past the Cygwin package for
cmake was your work.  Is that still the case, do you plan to update
that package to CMake-2.8.10.2 (or 2.8.11) anytime soon?

2. If you are no longer involved with that package, can I just
download the Windows binary version of CMake-2.8.10.2 or later for use
on Cygwin?

3, Even if a binary version of CMake-2.8.10.2 or later is
available for Cygwin, I may build it anyway on that platform just for the
practice.  Are there any special build instructions
for that platform?

4. Which of the command-line generators should I be using on
Cygwin?  I assume it is one of the "* Makefiles" ones, but
which one?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin