[CMake] CMakeModules repository at GitHub?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Mar 28 17:39:25 EDT 2013

On 3/28/2013 5:28 PM, David Cole wrote:
> I, too, live in the real world, in addition to having my theories about
> it... :-)
>
> And, for what it's worth, I'd rather add a project config file to any
> project out there that would accept code contributions from me than add
> yet another find module into CMake.
>
> Obviously, there will be cases where that is simply not possible for one
> reason or another. But it's still the preferred mechanism for
> hooking into CMake's find_package when it is possible.
>
> And when you have to resort to a find module, it should definitely live
> in CMake if it's generally useful for more than just your own use...
Well, put.  I like everything said here.  I am thinking maybe we should
update the ModuleMaintainers wiki entry to include instructions on how
to create and contribute a cmake config file to a non-cmake project and
suggest that that is done first.   Maybe it should be a requirement for
any new CMake module that you show that you tried to get a config file
upstream first and failed.  We might still need the module for older
versions of the software, but perhaps the job of the CMake module
maintainer needs to be expanded to include creating and submitting a
cmake config file into the upstream project.

This is a much smaller job than converting a whole project to cmake, and
works very well even in non-cmake based projects.

-Bill