[CMake] Potential bug to set a working directory for test

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:57:58 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm using CMake 2.10.2 the VS2012(VC11) generator.
I summed-up my problem in the last paragraph.

I'm trying to do this:

add_test(
  NAME ${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}
    WORKING_DIRECTORY ${TEST_WORKING_DIR}
    COMMAND ${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}
)

In my current setup, I need ${TEST_WORKING_DIR} to be dependent on the
build config name.
${TEST_WORKING_DIR} is equivalent to:
"${MYPROJECT_FINAL_DIR}/$<CONFIGURATION>/myproject"
But this don't work as WORKING_DIRECTORY don't accept generator commands.
(note: ${MYPROJECT_FINAL_DIR} is a full path)

I was considering using two commands, one to do "cd ${TEST_WORKING_DIR}
and one to call the test project target (which is in another directory, the
build one).
There is a restriction that add_test() can't take more than one COMMAND
instruction.

I then figured that I could just call the test automatically on build. I
first wrote this:

add_custom_command(
  TARGET ${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}
  POST_BUILD
  COMMAND cd ${TEST_WORKING_DIR}
  COMMAND ${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}
VERBATIM
)

Unfortunately this cannot work as with the current generator the
${TEST_PROJECT_NAME} is converted to a windows-specific path which is the
relative path from the CMakeLists.txt file.
So the generated commands are something like

    cd E:/projects/myprojects/final/Debug
    ../../../../../../build/Debug/my_test

Understanding this, I changed the command to find explicitly the test
executable file so
that the generated command would have a full path instead of a relative
path.
This is less flexible but should have worked:

add_custom_command(
  TARGET ${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}
  POST_BUILD
  COMMAND cd ${TEST_WORKING_DIR}
  COMMAND
${MYPROHECT_BUILD_DIR}/$<Configuration>/$<TARGET_FILE_NAME:${TEST_PROJECT_NAME}>
VERBATIM
)

note that ${MYPROHECT_BUILD_DIR} is a full path.
This generate EXACTLY the same command:

    cd E:/projects/myprojects/final/Debug
    ../../../../../../build/Debug/my_test

Which is still wrong.
In doubt I added a "call" command at the beginning of the second command,
which works on Windows but will not work on other platform (from search I
just did).

To sum-up:

1. I would like to be able to set a working directory which would be
generated using generated expression (as for the first example) both for
add_test() and add_custom_command(). Currently I have no cross-platform way
to do this (AFAIK) which don't imply calling an external script.
2. Why does the VS generator convert a binary call to a relative path
systematically, evene if VERBATIM is defined?

I'm not sure if there are reasons for these behaviours so I'm asking here
before making tickets. If I should make tickets, does the first one is a
feature and the second one a bug? Should I enter two tickets?

Thanks for your patience.

Joel Lamotte