[CMake] Installing Python files

sandrews steven.s.andrews at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 17:08:47 EDT 2013

Hi,

My project is primarily C and C++, but also includes some Python code.  I
can get everything to build fine, and my CMakeLists.txt files uses the
INSTALL(TARGETS ...) to so that the user can install the compiled code to
the proper place.  However, part of the installation is to copy the Python
files over to their proper places, too, and this isn't working.

First of all, where should Python files go?  On my Mac, I put them in
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages.  Of course though, this directory
would be different if I had a different version of Python.  Also, I expect
it's different on different platforms.  Does CMake automatically know where
the Python files should go and, if so, how do I access that?  (For example,
the INSTALL(TARGETS...) command does know where targets are supposed to go
for different platforms.)

Next, there are a lot of Python files, so I don't want to just dump the
whole collection in my site-packages directory.  Instead, I want to create a
subdirectory for them, within my site-packages directory.  How do I do this?
This directory should be created when the user enters "sudo make install",
and not during CMake's configuration process.

Thank you!
-Steve