[CMake] CMake for Python 3

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:21:03 EDT 2013

2013/3/26 Pietro Moras <studio-pm at hotmail.com>:
> My fault, certainly, dear Mr. Eric Noulard, but evidently my question has
> not been understood.

No "fault" at all.

>    The question here is NOT how to distribute a Python (3) source project,
> but the setup for an ordinary “.exe” program, capable of autonomous
> execution as any normal program as commonly intended. That is, without
> requiring the presence of the programming language, be it Python 3 or any
> other, used for developing it.

I think I get it.
But it is not in the feature of CMake to transform a python application
into an autonomous executable.

> You might be interested in knowing that I've already explored other tools,
> such as cx_Freeze, finding it utterly primordial, outdated and unreliable.

Then I think you are on your own and CMake will not help you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8786203/compiling-python-to-native-code

> Thus my suspect that Python (3) is simply not fit for such a goal, as nobody
> bothered to develop a serious setup maker and packager for it.

I agree that Python wasn't "meant" or design to be easily compilable to native
executable. I guess this is not a "missing feature", this was not
targeted in the first place.
Other scripting languages (like Ocaml) include that feature by design.

> Anyhow, I apologize in case this is not the right List for such a question.

This is the appropriate list for CMake questions, now you know that CMake
does not include the feature you need.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org