[CMake] cmake 2.8.11.2 fails for MSYS and MinGW generators

Martin Mitáš mity at morous.org
Thu Jul 18 15:12:44 EDT 2013

Hello list,

I am using cmake 2.8.11.2 on Windows 7 (64-bit). I am new to cmake so I
try to experiment with simple hello world C program to learn it a bit
as I would like to migrate my projects from hand written Makefiles.

I have mingw (actually mingwbuilds 4.8.1 rev1 installed, see [1])
installed and I am using MSYS. I also have two versions of MS Visual
Studio Express installed (10 and 11).

Generators for Visual Studios (both) work for me, both from cmd.exe as
well as MSYS. Generators for MSYS and MinGW do not though. Output from
it is below but it does not give any hint what's going wrong.

I noticed that C:\cmake\share\cmake-2.8\Modules\CMakeMSYSFindMake.cmake
checks other paths then when I have MSYS mounted, but tailoring with it
has no effect. Ditto for MinGW.

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-windows/releases/4.8.1/64-bit/threads-win32/sjlj/

As said, I am completely new to cmake. Any help would be appreciated.
Even an idea how to get more info from the cmake what goes wrong might
help me. (Tried --debug-output and --trace but it does not say anything
more for the failing commands.)

Best regards,
Martin Mitas

$ rm -rf *  &&  cmake -G 'Visual Studio 10' ..
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 16.0.40219.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 16.0.40219.1
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 10
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 10 -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 10
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 10 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: D:/prj/x/build

$ rm -rf *  &&  cmake -G 'Visual Studio 11' ..
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 17.0.50727.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 17.0.50727.1
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 11
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 11 -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 11
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 11 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: D:/prj/x/build

$ rm -rf *  &&  cmake -G MSYS ..
CMake Error: Could not create named generator MSYS

$ rm -rf *  &&  cmake -G MinGW ..
CMake Error: Could not create named generator MinGW

$ ls ..
CMakeLists.txt  build  hsv.c  hsv.h

$ cat ../CMakeLists.txt
cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6)
project (hsv)
add_executable(hsv hsv.c)

$ which make
/bin/make.exe

$ mount
C:\Users\mity\AppData\Local\Temp on /tmp type user (binmode,noumount)
c:\Progra~1\java on /java type user (binmode)
c:\mingw64 on /mingw64 type user (binmode)
c:\cmake on /cmake type user (binmode)
c:\msys on /MinGW type user (binmode)
c:\msys on /msys type user (binmode)
c:\msys on /usr type user (binmode,noumount)
c:\msys on / type user (binmode,noumount)
c:\git on /git type user (binmode)
d:\prj on /prj type user (binmode)
d:\src on /src type user (binmode)