[CMake] ExternalProject_Add, dependencies and Make

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jul 8 09:45:00 EDT 2013

On 7/4/2013 3:08 AM, Ben Pope wrote:
> make -j project1 project2 # BROKEN (also reaches 158% complete :P)
> make -j build_stuff       # fine

Right, the former has never worked even for normal targets.
It is due to the way CMake creates a front-end Makefile to
make each directory look like a local build tree.  It can
probably be fixed but no one has had time to investigate.

> The only problem now is that the output is interleaved, I might see
> something like:
> [ 78%] [ 78%] [ 80%] [ 80%] [ 80%] [ 81%] Building....
>
> But I guess that's for performance reasons?

There are a few bug reports about that.  The calls that
print the percentage and current build action are separate
but need to be combined into an atomic line print.  Again
it has never bothered anyone enough in practice to motivate
them to spend time fixing it.

-Brad