[CMake] MSYS and Intel Fortran/MSVC/C++

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jan 3 16:37:57 EST 2013

On 2013-01-03 20:57+0100 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here is some further information: Alan Irwin drew my
> attention to the generator I was using, so instead of
> "MSYS Makefiles" I tried it with "NMake Makefiles".
> I did not need to specify the compiler, that was correctly
> recognised, but nonetheless the configuration step failed,
> see the attached output files.

Hi Arjen:

The error was that the Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0
compiler failed the initial check of whether
it could compile a simple test programme
for the "NMake Makefiles" generator case.

Recalling that CMake-2.8.10 had a lot of changes to
language support is this a regression for cmake-2.8.10.2 or do you
get the same issue for earlier cmake versions?

What are the exact steps you have to go through to generate this CMake
error for the Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 compiler?  For example,
does the issue always occur or does the problem only occur if MSYS is
on the PATH?  From what you have said before I am pretty sure it is
the latter, but I want to make sure that you have tested with and
without MSYS on the PATH now that you are using the correct generator.

To give some additional background for the others here, all the build
systems I have worked on (PLplot, ephcom, te_gen, FreeEOS) have a
system of custom targets I have implemented to test the built software
in various ways.  Those tests require either ordinary Linux
development tools to be on the PATH for the Linux case or MSYS tools
to be on the PATH for the Windows case.

This approach works well for me on Linux (with the default "Unix
Makefiles" generator) and on Wine (with the "MSYS Makefiles" generator
and the "MinGW Makefiles generator (if I rename sh.exe, but otherwise
keep MSYS on the PATH). And Arjen has confirmed on Microsoft windows
with the MinGW compiler, that my custom test targets work under the
the "MSYS Makefiles" generator for him as well. However, now he is
attempting to check for me whether that approach also works for the
"NMake Makefiles" generator combined with the Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0 compiler, but he is having trouble getting past the above initial
check of that compiler whenever (if he confirms that is the source of
the trouble) MSYS is on the PATH.  Why should MSYS being on the PATH
make any difference to the the "NMake Makefiles" generator
or the Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 compiler?

Alan

Alan W. Irwin