[CMake] Cmake + Eclipse with a team

David Erickson daviderickson at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 4 18:29:27 EST 2013

Hi All-
We would like to use cmake for our build infrastructure, and Eclipse for
code editing/debugging.  I found and read
(http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator) which worked as
expected..  However, what became apparent is that anytime we update our
source code working tree there is the possibility that another developer
has added directories/files and/or changes the CMakeLists.txt file,
rendering our Eclipse configuration out of date for the new code.  The
two major limitations I see are:

1) Having to delete the project from Eclipse, regenerate
.project/.cproject, and re-import the project anytime the source code
structure changes
2) Related to the above, losing any local modifications to the project
configuration made after generation when regenerating it

How are other teams dealing with these problems? Problem #1 is the much
larger issue I suspect, but solving both would be ideal.

As a secondary question, why doesn't the generator create a
.project/.cproject in the root directory of a project, but just put all
temporary/build data inside a build subdirectory - and create separate
projects for each subdirectory?

Thanks,
David