[CMake] cmake with intel compilers

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:29:06 EDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 07:04 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 9/23/2012 4:29 PM, Burlen Loring wrote:
>> hmmm, I was a bit hasty in concluding that the issue has gone away in
>> newer releases. on another system, I have the issue with cmake 2.8.8.
>> The intel compiler version there is 11.1. On this system if I don't
>> include $INTEL_ROOT/include/intel64 explicitly , gcc's xmm intrinsics
>> are found causing errors (typical error follows).  Examining the output
>> of make VERBOSE=1, I'm not seeing any reference to the path containing
>> either gcc or intel xmm intrinsics. Is this a cmake issue? or perhaps a
>> configuration issue with the intel compiler on this system?
>>
>> /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/include/xmmintrin.h(105): error:
>> identifier "__builtin_ia32_addss" is undefined
>>      return (__m128) __builtin_ia32_addss ((__v4sf)__A, (__v4sf)__B);
>
> Does the compiler work from the command line with CMake?

Using the compiler without cmake, I do need to include the extra path to
prevent gcc's intrinsics from being found. Looks like this is on the
intel side of things. Of the two systems I've tested recently the system
with intel 11.1 has the issue, while the system with intel 12.1 does
not, both with cmake 2.8.8. As far as I can see both gcc and intel
compilers are configured similarly on these systems with both compilers
providing xmm intrinsics header. Apparently in the older intel compiler
gcc's directory was searched first, and thus erroneously finding the gcc
intrinsics. Apparently the newer version of the intel compiler is
searching its directories first. There's hope that the issue is solved
going forward, and probably not worth worrying about in cmake...