[CMake] License agreement in package installation

Andreas Mohr andi at lisas.de
Mon Sep 17 13:08:45 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:00:03PM -0400, cmake-request at cmake.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 04:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: hce <jupiter.hce at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CMake] License agreement in package installation
> To: cmake at cmake.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I need to add an interfactive license agreement to an RPM package when it is
> installed in Linux terminal (not GUI), it should display the license and
> asked whether the user agree or not. I noticed from cmake 2.8.8 document
> there is CPACK_RESOURCE_FILE_LICENSE may produce such process, am I right?
> If I am wrong, how can I make it work with cmake / cpack?

"You don't." ;)
(as quoted from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1797455/how-to-put-license-agreement-in-spec-file-rpm
)
Eric mentioned another stackoverflow URL, too.

Note that shell archive (shar-style) package generators (STGZ, STBZ2 etc.)
do have a license acknowledge step, though.

If you do feel the urge to add this to an explicitly automation-capable
mechanism (e.g. RPM), then definitely make sure to check for
non-interactive shell environment, as Eric said.

Philosophically spoken you could say that since you need to prevent
non-interactive installs from getting blocked, this means that one user group
will be prompted, whereas another user group (with installation carried
out automatically) will not have any license acknowledgement step.
IOW, this strongly hints at RPM install step being the wrong place
to do such things.

HTH,

Andreas Mohr