[CMake] adding extra files to distribution

Jack Stalnaker jack.stalnaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:03:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm new to CMake, but quite familiar with Autotools. I am trying to do
something that is probably quite simple, but I cannot find any
documentation for. The distribution creation mechanism is difficult to
learn because of the lack of documentation. For instance, it seems (though
I'm not sure of this) that the distribution will only contain files for
which you've written an install rule, but I don't see that documented in
any tutorial I've read. I was confused by that, being familiar with
autotools, because I don't have to write those rules manually, and
everything make has touched goes automatically into a distribution archive.
I was surprised when I wrote the cpack commands into my CMakeLists.txt file
only to get an empty archive.  That's not meant as a cheer for autotools,
just an anecdote from an autotools convert-in-progress.

That leads me to my main question. If I have to have an install rule for
everything, how do I add things to the distribution archive that I do not
want to be installed? It's not uncommon to see projects with data or
example directories that should never leave the source folders, and that
never get installed. My google-fu has failed, because I cannot find how to
include those files in the distribution yet not have them install anywhere.

Thanks,
Jack