[CMake] CPack issue with long path names being misplaced in TGZ file

Marcus Bartholomeu cmake at tecativa.com.br
Fri Oct 26 17:59:42 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm having an issue to use CPack with big file paths. I have cmake-2.8.9.

I built a very simple testcase to show this issue. These are the files in
the project:

./CMakeLists.txt
./control/examples/path-with-very-long-length/some_file2.txt
./control/examples/path-with-very-long-length/to-test-if-it-breaks-the-cpack/a-little-bit-more-characters-to-make-it-big/ok-that-is-enough.txt
./control/examples/some_file.txt

All files are empty, unless for the CMakeLists.txt, of course. It has the
following:

---------------------
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
project (bugtest)

install(DIRECTORY control/ DESTINATION control)

include (InstallRequiredSystemLibraries)
include (CPack)
---------------------

As a simple way to create the other empty files, we can use the following
commands:

     mkdir
-p control/examples/path-with-very-long-length/to-test-if-it-breaks-the-cpack/a-little-bit-more-characters-to-make-it-big
     touch control/examples/some_file.txt
     touch control/examples/path-with-very-long-length/some_file2.txt

 touch control/examples/path-with-very-long-length/to-test-if-it-breaks-the-cpack/a-little-bit-more-characters-to-make-it-big/ok-that-is-enough.txt

The 2 files with smaller paths goes to the expected locations under

     <tar_root>/bugtest-0.1.1/

but the file with the bigger path gets part of the path stripped and loose
the initial "bugtest-0.1.1" directory, going to:

 <tar_root>/to-test-if-it-breaks-the-cpack/a-little-bit-more-characters-to-make-it-big/ok-that-is-enough.txt

I'm building and packaging it with the commands:

     cmake ../bugtest
     cpack -C CPackConfig.cmake -G TGZ

Can someone help me to find out if it is a bug or how to fix it?

Thanks for any help,
Marcus