[CMake] Cross compiling from linux to windows using wine-based visual studio compilers

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Oct 16 03:08:33 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-15 21:46-0700 Daniel Russel wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2012, at 9:35 PM, "Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-10-15 21:02-0700 Daniel Russel wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get cross compilation of a simple library working to
>> build a windows library on a linux box using the visual studio
>> compilers.
>>
>> I don't get it.  How can visual studio compilers execute properly on Linux?
>> Don't they need to be run on a Windows platform?
> Using Wine. I probably should have mentioned it.

Actually you did right in the subject line, but my eyes
focussed on cross-compilation and just plain missed it.  :-)

> And perhaps cross-compilation is not quite the right term. Is there a better one?

I just call it building software on the Wine platform.

> We have been using them to compile other projects built with scons.

That's cool that the visual studio compilers work with scons on the
Wine platform.  I think that and my good results with the Windows
version of CMake on Wine (albeit with a different Windows compiler) is
a pretty good indication that CMake + visual studio compilers will
probably work on the Wine platform for you as well.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin