[CMake] CMake for many interdependent libraries/executables

Gerhard den Hollander gdenhollander at fugro-jason.com
Tue May 29 10:31:58 EDT 2012

Tyson,

> Thanks for the replies. The way that I was thinking of using ExternalProject
> would not require a checking out every library,  [ 8< ]

> Using your example, if I wanted to work only on the one app that needed two libs,
> I could check out and build the app.  Due to ExternalProject, the two libs would
> also be checked out and built as part of the apps build process, but nothing else
> assuming that the two libs didn't have any other dependencies.

Yes, but that is where our setups differ.
We have about 200 libs, for about 50 apps where each app requires between 20 - 150 libs.
(yes, these are big apps), avaergae build time, back then was 30 - 60
minutes for an app, if you had to build all libraries.

Down to 2 - 5 minutes if you only had to build the few libs you had
locally.

[times would be even longer if you also had to build and test on a sun
   ultra 10 ]

[more 8< ]
> The main part of my original set of questions was essentially asking if the
> scenario I just described is possible and, if so, if it was a good idea.  Does
> that in any way clarify things?

Yes, it does clarify things. But alas, I dont have the cmake
experience with ExternalProject to help you with that.

Kind regards,
Fugro-Jason Netherlands BV

Gerhard den Hollander
AE Technical Support Manager

Telephone: +31 (0)70 3170 539  /  Fax: +31 (0)70 3170 511
E-mail: gdenhollander at fugro-jason.com
	/  Website: www.fugro-jason.com <http://www.fugro-jason.com/>
Address: Veurse Achterweg 10, 2264 SG Leidschendam, The Netherlands  /
P.O. Box 35, 2260 AA Leidschendam, The Netherlands
Trade Register Nr: 24294747  /  VAT: NL 8080.15.163.B.01