[CMake] Why is Ninja generator disabled by default?

Andreas Mohr andi at lisas.de
Wed May 23 06:59:17 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:33:06AM -0400, cmake-request at cmake.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 06:35:35 -0500
> From: Richard Wackerbarth <richard at NFSNet.org>
>
> One of the differences that shows up in the dashboard is that there is a compile test which passes with normal Unix file paths, but fails when there is a space in one of the directory names. Perhaps we need to add an explicit test for everyone, ninja or otherwise, to test that compiles work with spaces in the path. I have a feeling that we may find additional failures.

With yesterday's CMake next and an old Ninja (commit 1b471c1c4251dc05c2d5b71dd5d1d335c7827a9b Dec 2011),
on a temporarily reactivated (Ninja did hit issues....)
whitespace test target within my build environment
it complained with
ninja: error: loading 'build.ninja': line 305, col 1: expected variable after $

due to Ninja generator converting "Script Engine" into "Script$ Engine"
and old Ninja having issues with that syntax.

With a current Ninja (git://github.com/martine/ninja.git master), the
same generated build.ninja content now is accepted, and so far I haven't
detected more whitespace issues here.

So it's at least *better* than it used to be, but there might be hidden niceties lurking
(and this is what the dashboard test result likely hints at).

Andreas Mohr