[CMake] Why is Ninja generator disabled by default?

Claus Klein claus.klein at arcormail.de
Tue May 22 18:18:04 EDT 2012

it works on my macbook:

"/usr/local/CMake 2.8-8.app/Contents/bin/cmake" --version
cmake version 2.8.8.20120520-g4742e

claus-kleins-macbook-pro:CompileCommandOutput clausklein$ "/usr/local/
CMake 2.8-8.app/Contents/bin/cmake" -G Ninja -DMAKE_SUPPORTS_SPACES=1
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot - yes
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag -
yes
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Ninja -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /Users/clausklein/Downloads/cmake/
Tests/CompileCommandOutput

claus-kleins-macbook-pro:CompileCommandOutput clausklein$ ninja -d
explain
ninja explain: output CMakeFiles/test1.dir/file_with_spaces.cxx.o
doesn't exist
ninja explain: CMakeFiles/test1.dir/file_with_spaces.cxx.o is dirty
ninja explain: output CMakeFiles/test2.dir/relative.cxx.o doesn't exist
ninja explain: CMakeFiles/test2.dir/relative.cxx.o is dirty
ninja explain: output CMakeFiles/CompileCommandOutput.dir/
compile_command_output.cxx.o doesn't exist
ninja explain: CMakeFiles/CompileCommandOutput.dir/
compile_command_output.cxx.o is dirty
ninja explain: libtest1.a is dirty
ninja explain: libtest2.dylib is dirty
ninja explain: CompileCommandOutput is dirty
ninja explain: libtest1.a is dirty
ninja explain: libtest2.dylib is dirty
[6/6] Linking CXX executable CompileCommandOutput
claus-kleins-macbook-pro:CompileCommandOutput clausklein$

claus-kleins-macbook-pro:CompileCommandOutput clausklein$ touch file\
with\ spaces.cxx
claus-kleins-macbook-pro:CompileCommandOutput clausklein$ ninja -d
explain
ninja explain: output CMakeFiles/test1.dir/file_with_spaces.cxx.o
older than most recent input file with spaces.cxx (13377238240000000
vs 13377239270000000)
ninja explain: CMakeFiles/test1.dir/file_with_spaces.cxx.o is dirty
ninja explain: libtest1.a is dirty
ninja explain: CompileCommandOutput is dirty
ninja explain: libtest1.a is dirty
[3/3] Linking CXX executable CompileCommandOutput