[CMake] CPack: Installing applications in separate folders (NSIS)

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:38:01 EDT 2012

2012/5/21 David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM, <norulez at me.com> wrote:
>>
>> But what about other systems like linux. If I have an executable and
>> shared libraries for example.
>> Then it is possible to install it under /opt/myproject, but it is not
>> possible to install the executable under /usr/bin and the shared libraries
>> under /usr/lib? Or did I misunderstood something?
>

> But you don't build an NSIS installer based on those.

And installing lib in /usr/lib and exe in /usr/bin IS possible
because the 2 path shares the /usr prefix.

On Linux if you build an RPM or DEB package which contains various
prefix (/usr /opt etc..) you either get a non relocatable package
or decide that some files are "special" like config files.

but David is right this does not work with NSIS.

>> Sorry, for simple installers the default NSIS template is great, but for
>> customized ones it seems to be very difficult, isn't it?

As difficult as it is with NSIS alone :-]

> Yes, you're correct. It takes some effort if you are not installing
> everything underneath the directory that the end user chooses for your final
> location.
>
> It's quite good for "simple installers" and "component-based installers" --
> beyond that, and especially putting things outside the location chosen by
> the end user ... you're on your own.

If you do have 2 separate unrelated installation prefixes
may be you can just build 2 NSIS installers
(which contains only one prefix)
using CPack twice out of 2 differents configurations of the same project

Or craft your own project.nsi file.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org