[CMake] Why is Ninja generator disabled by default?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri May 18 17:48:07 EDT 2012

On 5/18/2012 5:37 PM, Claus Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the newest version 2.8 of cmake for MACOS and dit not found
> the new generator for ninja.
>
> So I downloaded the sources and build it myself.
>
> It seems to work fine and just 2 times faster than with make.
>
> Why is it disabled?

See my post here:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2012-May/050304.html

I assume you are on windows or Mac.

So, if you are 2 times faster on windows it is because incremental
builds are totally broken (although I suspect it will still be
faster)...  On the mac, you would be ok as long as the project does not
create frameworks or app bundles.

-Bill