[CMake] Packaging Best Practices for Linux

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:55:58 EDT 2012

2012/5/16 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> A commercial app might well use cmake to drive the linux packaging,
> but if you want your app to become a first class citizen on Linux,
> you should let the distros do the packaging.  (Or better yet,
> become a Debian developer and walk it through the process
> yourself, but following the Debian way.  Once that's in, you can get
> it into Ubuntu as a next step.)

May be true but like I said in a previous message, trying to become
DM or DD "only for your package" may not be the best way to go:

read slide 42 of:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial.en.pdf
and slide 45 as well:
"You do not need any official status to get your package into Debian
  - 1 Prepare a source package
  - 2 Find a Debian Developer that will sponsor your package"

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org