[CMake] [CPack] Empty package while using component with NSIS on Win64 platform.

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:28:25 EDT 2012

2012/5/14 Alexandre Fournier <alexandre.fournier at zimmercas.com>:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to create a package for our project.  The package contains
> several components, one for each application.  I followed the instruction
> from the book “Mastering CMake” and the package is created but has no
> components.  Our solution runs entirely on CMake including continuous
> integration with CTest and CDash.  The only thing which is not working
> properly is the packaging of the software.

This one SHOULD NOT be set for a NSIS/WIndows package

> SET(CPACK_SET_DESTDIR ON)

in fact beginning with CMake 2.8.6 it is seldom useful to set
CPACK_SET_DESTDIR to ON
in any case.

> INSTALL(TARGETS Adjustment RUNTIME DESTINATION ${BUILD_ROOT}/bin/install COMPONENT AdjustmentApp)
> INSTALL(TARGETS triage RUNTIME DESTINATION ${BUILD_ROOT}/bin/install COMPONENT triageApp)

if ${BUILD_ROOT} is an absolute path this won't work.

> I read on forum that setting CPACK_SET_DESTDIR  to ON could cause problem
> but it does not change anything in my case.  Whether or not this variable is
> on or off or using absolute or relative path is always ending with an empty
> installer.

Trust me you don't want to set CPACK_SET_DESTDIR to ON.
In the same way "absolute DESTINATION install path" will NOT work on Windows.

> I even try to run the example from the cmake wiki : http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/File:ComponentExampleStart.zip.

Did you use the "Start" archive or did you use the "final":
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/File:ComponentExample.zip

> The example is not working at all, NSIS got errors:

May be the example is not up to date, but using
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/File:ComponentExample.zip
I can build an NSIS installer using CMake 2.8.8 and NSIS 2.46.
(on Linux with some crosstools but concerning the generated
 NSIS project and NSIS processing it looks just fine).

> I am using CMake 2.8.7, NSIS 2.46 and Windows 7 64 bit edition.
>
> Is there any incompatibility with the version of the software used?

Are you using some custom build of NSIS ?
Like 64 bits
or svn trunk?

if not it should work.

--