No subject

Wed May 9 12:08:04 EDT 2012

MSBuild .csproj files, which means debugging will be difficult.

This is a huge project with hundreds of subprojects and lots of .NET
stuff: WPF, WCF, MEF, third-party dependencies, some C++ and C++/CLI,
etc. It may be possible to extend those custom commands do entertain
all of that, but the result will certainly be ugly and hard to use.

Raw MSBuild does not look good (how difficult can it be to copy a
directory!?) and NAnt... well, not much better than raw MSBuild:
XML-based, does not generate .sln/.csproj, etc.

I will propose adding proper C#/.NET support to CMake but I seriously
doubt it'll get approved, it'll probably take too long to be done and
stable :-(

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> As you can see from Mathieu's response, and the links he provided,
> building C# stuff from CMake is certainly possible with lots of custom
> command mojo.
>
> As the guy who wrote that mojo for mummy and activizdotnet, and the
> guy who closed the bug in our issue tracker until a funder/volunteer
> comes along (still waiting...), I'm certainly in the position to say:
> it's possible, but not as pretty as you'd like it to be...
>
> Let us know if you tackle it via the custom command route.
>
> Another option these days would be to have csproj files and build them
> via ExternalProject and devenv or msbuild command lines. (Which is
> really just custom commands under the hood...)
>

> Cheers ( & good luck ),
> David
>

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Mathieu Malaterre
> <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
>>> Is anyone using CMake for C#/.NET projects? We are looking to moving
>>> from Visual Studio solutions/projects to a proper build system and
>>> CMake would be my preferred choice.
>>
>> Here is my two cents. Until CMake actually do support C#, I do not
>> believe this is worth the effort to use cmake. There are only two C#
>> implementations and both of them do support *.sln/csproj files.
>>
>> You can have a look at two projects mummy [1] & gdcm [2] they both
>> uses C# and you will see the amount of detail needed to keep track of
>> dependencies and get things right. So if you project is only using C#,
>> I would suggest to go with the default VS tools. If your project is
>> using cmake anyway, be ready for some low level cmake programming [3].
>>
>> 2cts
>>

>> [1] http://www.kitware.com/products/avdownload.php
>> [2] http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/
>> [3] http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7918