[CMake] Using 3rd party Release only lib as shared lib within project - best practice

Brett Delle Grazie brett.dellegrazie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:15:45 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have 3rd party supplied static library that we are repackaging
internally as a shared library.
Only a release build of the static library is supplied, thus I wish
our shared library to only have a release build, but I'd like the
shared library
available to the users of the library no matter what the build type is
(debug, release etc.)

What's the best/easiest way of implementing this type of dependency?
Is it simply use a separate project and then use a FindXXXX command
that adds the shared library as an imported target?
Or is it using External Project or similar?
Or can a specific project's build type be 'forced' to Release while
projects depending upon it might be any build type (I don't think this
is possible at the moment)?

Thanks,

Brett

--